- Published “Specialization Trend: Water Courts” in the 49th edition of Environmental Law Journal (2019).
- Published “A Street View of Property” in the University of California Hastings Law Journal (2019).
- Presented “Liquid Business” at the University of Oklahoma Faculty Workshop in Norman, Oklahoma (January 30, 2019); and at the University of Houston Environmental Works in Progress Series in Houston, Texas (December 6, 2018).
- Published a book chapter on Texas in Waters and Water Rights 4th (Amy Kelley, Ed. LexisNexis Matthew Bender 2019).
- Published the essay “Of Rivers, Deities, and Legal Persons - A New Approach to Managing Freshwater Resources?” posted on the International Water Law Project Blog (August 31, 2018), see here. This is a closing essay to a series of essays Prof. Eckstein solicited and edited, set to be republished in the peer-reviewed journal Water International.
- Moderated the panel on “Natural Resources Extraction and Sustainable Development in North America” at the Annual Global Programs Conference – NAFTA 2.0: The Puzzle of North America as a Region at Texas A&M University School of Law in Fort Worth, Texas (March 1, 2019).
- Moderated the panel on “Energy Law & Policy in Cross-Disciplinary Context” at the 10th Annual Energy Law Symposium – Energy Law Currents: From the Ground Up at Texas A&M University School of Law in Fort Worth, Texas (February 22, 2019).
- Presented “Sharing What You Can’t See: Policy and Governance Challenges for Managing Transboundary Groundwater Resources on the Mexico-US Border” at the Tarrant County Bar Association Environmental Law Section meeting (December 4, 2018).
- Participated in a panel discussion on “Climate Change Litigation: Current Trends and Future Outlook” with the Honorable Gale Norton, former U.S. Secretary of the Interior at Texas A&M University School of Law (November 8, 2018).
- Moderated the panel on “Landowner Challenges: Developing Natural Resources” at the Conference on Rural Development: Using Innovation to Create Thriving Communities at Texas A&M University School of Law in Fort Worth, Texas (October 26, 2018).
- Co-organized and Moderated the “Energy-Law-Policy Session” for the Energy, Law, and Policy Workshop, coordinated with the Texas A&M Energy Institute and held at Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (October 3, 2018). Served as panelist on the “Ways Forward - Panel Discussion” at the workshop.
- Published a book chapter, The Fine Print of the Energy Reform, in Mexico’s New Energy Model, Mexico Institute, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (2018).
- Published The Blurring of the Public/Private Distinction or the Collapse of a Category? The Story of Investment Arbitration in Nevada Law Journal, Vol.18 (2018).
- Co-organized the Annual Global Programs Conference – NAFTA 2.0: The Puzzle of North America as a Region at Texas A&M University School of Law in Fort Worth, Texas (February 28 - March 1, 2019). Presented “Natural Resources Extraction and Sustainable Development in North America” at the conference.
- Co-organized the 10th Annual Energy Law Symposium – Energy Law Currents: From the Ground Up at Texas A&M University School of Law in Fort Worth, Texas (February 21-22, 2019). Presented “The Right of Consultation of Communities in Latin American Energy Projects” at the symposium.
- Presented “Chasing Dragons in the Gulf of Mexico: The Impact of Chinese Investment in the Development of the Law of Transboundary Resources” at the University of Missouri School of Law’s Faculty Exchange Lecture Program in Columbus, Missouri (January 29, 2019).
- Presented “Mexico’s Energy Reform and New Regulatory Framework” as a guest lecturer for Professor James Coleman’s International Petroleum Negotiations class at Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law in Dallas, Texas (November 26, 2018).
- Co-organized the Dispute Resolution Program Annual Symposium – Shining a Light on Dispute Resolution: Transparency, Metrics and Empirical Research at Texas A&M University School of Law in Fort Worth, Texas (November 16, 2018).
- Presented “Chasing Dragons in the Gulf of Mexico" at Texas A&M University School of Law’s Dispute Resolution Program Annual Symposium – Shining a Light on Dispute Resolution: Transparency, Metrics and Empirical Research in Fort Worth, Texas (November 16, 2018); at Marquette University Law School’s Sixth Annual Junior Faculty Work-in-Progress Conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (October 4-6, 2018); and at Texas A&M University’s Energy, Law and Policy Workshop in College Station, Texas (October 3, 2018).
- Participated in a panel discussion on “Rule of Law and International Investment Law Committee’s Report” for International Law Association: International Law Weekend at Fordham School of Law in New York, New York (October 18, 2018).
- Co-authored “Betting on Climate Policy – Using Prediction Markets to Address Global Warming” in the University of California Davis Law Review with G. Lucas, Jr. (2019).
- Published “Market Segmentation vs. Subsidization – Clean Energy Credits and the Commerce Clause’s Economic Wisdom” in the Washington Law Review (2018), see here.
- Co-organized the 10th Annual Energy Law Symposium – Energy Law Currents: From the Ground Up, at Texas A&M University School of Law in Fort Worth, TX (February 21-22, 2019).
- Appeared as an Expert Guest on Knowledge@Wharton—a daily, call-in business interview program broadcasting live from the Wharton School—to discuss the following topics: 1) What to expect in 2019 for the environment and climate change (January 17, 2019); 2) U.N. climate conference in Poland and investor concerns over the financial impacts of climate change (December 11, 2018); 3) The latest developments in litigation over the Keystone XL pipeline (November 12, 2018); 4) The latest trends in climate change litigation, including a securities fraud suit filed against Exxon Mobil (October 25, 2018); and 5) Exxon Mobil’s advocacy and financial support for carbon pricing (October 10, 2018).
- Hosted a PowerShift Workshop convening academics, policymakers, and practitioners to discuss the latest trends in clean energy, organized in collaboration with Harvard, Duke, and the University of North Carolina, in Fort Worth, TX (December 14, 2018).
- Spoke on lessons learned from forty years of federal policy support for clean energy at PURPA@40: Renewable Energy Law & Policy in the United States, hosted by the University of Utah College of Law, Salt Lake City, UT (November 9, 2018).
- Served as Invited Discussant at the Searle Center Roundtable on Energy Economics and Regulation, hosted by Northwestern University, Chicago, IL (November 2, 2018).
- Presented “Clean Energy Equity” at the Energy Law & Policy Workshop in College Station, Texas, co-hosted by the Texas A&M University Energy Institute, Bush School of Governance & Public Service, and School of Law (October 3, 2018).
- Co-authored “Move Along to Where? Property in Service of Democracy” in honor of Andre van der Walt, with Joseph W. Singer (2017).
- Published “Property-as-Society” in the 2018 Wisconsin Law Review.
- Published “Driving Municipal Reliance on Exactions” in the 60th edition of William & Mary Law Review (2018).
- Presented “Property and Social Isolation” at the Property-Works-in-Progress Conference at Boston University Law School in Boston, Massachusetts (October 19-20, 2018).
- Presented the following at Brigham-Kanner Property Rights Conference at William & Mary Law School in Williamsburg, Virginia (October 4-5, 2018): “The Light Footprint of Koontz” and “Sustainable Exactions.”
- Published a practice note on LexisNexis entitled The Basics of Oil and Gas Confidentiality Agreements (2019).
- Presented on the following topics at the AIPN International Oil and Gas Contracts and Negotiations Core Course in Bangkok, Thailand (March 11-15, 2019): Corporate Social Responsibility, Confidentiality and Bidding Agreement Issues, Granting Instrument Issues, Unitization Issues, Decommissioning Issues, Gas Balancing and Transportation Issues and An Overview of LNG.
- Co-chaired the annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (“RMMLF”), Assoc. of International Petroleum Negotiators (“AIPN”), and Institute for Energy Law (“IEL”)
- Jointly sponsored Short Course on International Oil & Gas Law, Contracts and Negotiations (September 24 - October 5, 2018), see here. He also presented introductions and opening remarks at the Short Course.
- Published a chapter on “Trade Considerations for Decarbonization Strategies” in Legal Pathways to Deep Decarbonization in the United States, Michael B. Gerrard and John C. Dernbach, eds., Environmental Law Institute (2018), see here. To purchase the book and/or view podcasts, click here.
- Published “Balancing Sustainability, the Right to Regulate and the Need for Investor Protection: Lessons from the Trade Regime,” 59 Boston College Law Review 2735 (2018), see here.
- Published “Regulatory Cooperation in International Trade & its Transformative Effects on Executive Power,” 25 Ind. J. of Global Legal Studies 365 (2018), see here.